Teaching Portfolio Institute
For graduate students and postdocs at Cornell. How do you document and showcase your teaching and professional experiences? By participating in this one-day institute, you will reflect on and synthesize your development as an educator.
What is the Teaching Portfolio Institute?
The institute will focus on three distinct elements of portfolio creation: collecting your documents; selecting what best showcases your development, values, and experience; and reflecting on your professional journey.
Throughout the day you will:
- review and evaluate sample portfolios and discuss the value of the professional teaching portfolio in your academic job search
- speak with knowledgeable faculty about effectively showcasing your professional experience
- examine the following key components of a professional teaching portfolio: CV, teaching philosophy, syllabus, diversity statement, and evidence of teaching effectiveness
- explore electronic platforms that you can use to build and house your portfolio
Through in-depth workshops, you will have an opportunity to draft a teaching philosophy and a sample syllabus based on best-practice course design principles. You will leave the institute with a personalized template for an electronic teaching portfolio and the necessary tools to write and refine its component parts.
Who can attend?
Graduate students and postdocs at Cornell
When is the Portfolio Institute?
Date: upcoming dates to be announced
As a result of attending the Institute, participants will be able to:
- identify the components of a teaching portfolio
- create a draft of a teaching philosophy statement
- build a sample syllabus for a future course
- articulate important components of a diversity statement
- assess platforms for presenting portfolio materials
- construct an effective curriculum vitae
- curate teaching evaluations
Application Process & Deadline
Please visit the Online Teaching Portfolio Institute.
Please contact Derina Samuel at the Center for Teaching Innovation with any questions about the institute.