When is the Summer Program?
Date: August 4 - 12, 2021
While we are working remotely, the ITAP Summer Program will be offered online from August 4 - 12, 2021.
The Program will include:
- Asynchronous modules offered prior to August 6
- Online language assessments and support sessions for participants between August 4-6
- Additional synchronous and asynchronous modules August 9-12
We will share additional information as it becomes available.
What is the Summer Program?
The International Teaching Assistant (ITA) Summer Program is a summer training program required by Cornell University to support all incoming international students who speak English as an additional language and who will assume TA duties during the fall semester. It offers a high level of individual guidance, small group sessions, and activities designed to help students familiarize themselves to Cornell’s campus and culture. Students will have the opportunity to refine their oral communication and/or pedagogical skills, and to critically examine the impact of culture on teaching and learning.
As part of the summer program, students will participate in a Language Assessment and, depending on the results of the assessment, may be assigned to ALS 5780.
Who can attend?
International teaching assistants who:
- speak English as an additional language
- have been assigned to TA in their first fall semester at Cornell
- determine whether an ITA’s level of English proficiency meets the minimum required level of proficiency to be a TA at Cornell
- determine any required ITAP course work and assign appropriate teaching assignments
Contact your Graduate Field Assistant (GFA) and ITAP (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you will receive a TA appointment but have not yet received information about the ITAP Summer Program.
Students who receive on-campus university housing for the academic year may be able to move into their housing assignment early, if available. There will be no temporary housing available. To be considered for on-campus housing, you must complete and submit a housing application to the Housing Office as soon as possible. Housing is not guaranteed and is assigned according to the date the housing application is received at the Housing Office.
Contact ITAP with any questions about this program.