GET SET workshop schedule
The Center for Teaching Innovation’s GET SET workshop series offers graduate students, teaching assistants, postdoctoral fellows, and the Future Faculty and Academic Careers community an opportunity to participate in weekly workshops on teaching and learning in higher education. Registration links can be found below the description of each workshop. Please contact Derina Samuel with any questions about the workshops or registration.
Fall 2021 workshop schedule
Our Fall semester GET SET workshops will be held online and grouped thematically into institutes. Take each workshop individually, or as a series. Participants who complete an entire institute (all 4 workshops) may request a letter of completion for their portfolio.
Essentials of Teaching Institute
Explore key considerations for success in your role as a teaching assistant. In this institute, we will discuss inclusive teaching strategies, ways to engage students, and assessing learning.
All workshops for this institute will take place from 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
The TA role in cultivating an inclusive classroom (Part 1 of the Essentials of Teaching institute)
- Date: Tuesday September 14, 2021
- How do you create a learning environment in which all students can thrive? This workshop introduces ways to encourage open and active dialogue, address culturally and socially sensitive topics, promote cross-cultural exchanges, and cultivate an appreciation for diversity and difference in the classroom.
Supporting student learning (Part 2 of the Essentials of Teaching institute)
- Date: Tuesday September 21, 2021
- How can you effectively reach all of your learners? This workshop explores how instructors can present course material in a variety of ways to engage all students.
Effective grading and feedback (Part 3 of the Essentials of Teaching institute)
- Date: Tuesday September 28, 2021
- How do you assign grades, devise a grading rubric, and grade in a fair, consistent way? A course grade reflects student competency and mastery of the material. This workshop will discuss components of grading students' understanding and mastery of the course material.
Peer review session (Part 4 of the Essentials of Teaching institute)
- Date: Tuesday October 5, 2021
- This workshop is for those who have completed the earlier workshops and would like a letter to document their participation in the Essentials of Teaching Institute. This capstone experience is an opportunity for participants to get peer-feeback on their action plan.
Course Design Institute
Do you need guidance on designing a course for the first time? Or are you in the process of redesigning your course? Our Course Design Institute takes a holistic approach to familiarize the Cornell teaching community with the principles of course design. In this four-part institute, participants will learn how to effectively develop learning outcomes, design effective classroom assessment techniques, and create learning activities that promote active learning among students. Individuals who complete all four workshops under the Course Design Institute and create a draft syllabus will earn a letter documenting completion of the Course Design Institute from CTI.
Prior to the Institute, please consider a course for which you would like to design a draft syllabus.
All workshops for this institute will take place from 12:00 – 1:15 p.m.
Registration information forthcoming
Developing learning outcomes (Part 1 of the Course Design Institute)
- Date: Wednesday October 20, 2021
- Interested in developing a course? Creating learning outcomes and aligning these with assignments and assessments is an effective place to start. This workshop introduces key steps for designing learning outcomes.
Developing a syllabus (Part 2 of the Course Design Institute)
- Date: Wednesday October 27, 2021
- How do you create a syllabus focused on student learning? This workshop will provide a useful syllabus design template and explore resources for designing and aligning course goals, learning objectives, instructional activities, and assessment strategies.
Designing learning activities (Part 3 of the Course Design Institute)
- Date: Wednesday November 3, 2021
- How can you involve students more fully in classroom activities that support your course's learning outcomes? This workshop addresses ways in which instructors can construct classroom activities that encourage active engagement with course content and promote in-class participation among students.
Peer review session (Part 4 of the Course Design Institute)
- Date: Wednesday November 10, 2021
- This workshop is for those who have completed the earlier workshops and would like a letter to document their participation in the Institute. This capstone experience is an opportunity for you to draft a syllabus for a course in your field and get peer feedback.