Getting Started with Creating Your Course Site
The following instructions explain how to create a new Blackboard course site for academic courses.
Request a Course Site
- Log in to Faculty Center with your Cornell NetID.
- Click on the Blackboard Course Site Request tab.
- A listing of your courses for the active term displays and includes the Class Name and the Subject/Cornell Catalog Number. If you would like to request a course for a different term, click the Change Term button.
- Please note that courses that are listed as “Request queued” with the checkbox selected have already been requested. De-selecting the pending request will cause the request to be deleted. If you do not see your course listed, contact your department to make sure that it is listed in PeopleSoft.
- Click the checkbox below the course to select it. You must check the checkbox even if this is the only option available for the course.
- You may have one or two options: Create One Site/Combined Enrollment or Create Individual Sites for Co-Meeting Courses. If you are only given the option to create separate sites for a group of classes but want to combine them, contact the Center at email@example.com. If you have a co-meeting course and would like individual Blackboard course sites for each section, check the Create Individual Sites for Co-Meeting Courses option.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click Submit. When prompted, click OK to accept the Copyright agreement and continue.
After Submitting Your Request
The Status field on the Blackboard course site request page will indicate the status of your course request.
- Request queued – Your request has not yet been forwarded for Blackboard course site creation. This request can be modified if you desire.
- Request sent – Your request is being processed for Blackboard course site creation. Modifications at this time are not available from this form, however, you can contact the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The newly generated Blackboard Course ID will display after the course site request has been submitted. Blackboard Course IDs are the Class Number that has been assigned by the Registrar’s Office. For cross-listed or co-meeting courses, please note the following:
- Cross-listed course – The course site that is created will combine enrollment for all cross-listed sections. Your Blackboard courses will include “_COMBINED-CROSSLIST” at the end of the Blackboard Course ID.
- Co-meeting course – You have the option to create a site for each co-meeting section. If you do so, your Blackboard Course ID will include “_COMBINED-COMEET” after the course number, year, and semester.
Course site requests are processed three times daily starting at 7:10 a.m. Primary instructors will receive a confirmation email when their course site has been created. If you do not see your course site in Blackboard, or if you would like assistance in creating your Blackboard course site, please contact the Center at email@example.com.
The chart below is meant to help you identify when you will be able to request Blackboard course sites for your course, and when the sites will be made available to students.
|Term||Course Creation Date (available to instructors)||Course access dates for students*||Date students added to course|
Aug 20, 2018 -
|Winter 2019||Nov 12, 2018||Dec 24, 2018 -
Feb 17, 2018
|Dec 17, 2018|
|Spring 2019||Nov 12, 2018||Jan 21, 2019 -
Jun 16, 2019
|Jan 15, 2019|
*These are the default dates; you may choose to change them, see how.
Manually Add Users to Your Course
You will need to manually enroll some people in your course (e.g., teaching assistants and administrative assistants) who are not identified in the Faculty Center. You may also need to add students who are not officially on the class roster.
To enroll a user:
- In the Control Panel, click Users and Groups and then click Users.
- Click Add Enrollments.
- To select a person from the search list, click in the checkbox by the user’s name and click Submit. The user is added to the Username box.
- All Blackboard user IDs are the same as the individual’s Cornell NetID (with the exception of Guest IDs). You can add people to your course by entering their NetIDs in the Username box. If you don’t know their NetID, you can find them by clicking the Browse button and searching by last name, first name, or email address. If you are unable to find the person you are looking for, they may not have a Blackboard account. Contact the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Select the role for the selected user(s).
- Click Submit.