International Teaching Assistant Summer Program
When is the Summer Program?
Dates: As part of the University's ongoing coordinated response to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Summer Program will be offered online and is tentatively scheduled for August 5-13, 2020. The modified online Summer Program is planned to include:
- asynchronous modules offered prior to August 7, 2020
- language assessments for participants: August 5-7, 2020
- synchronous/asynchronous modules: August 5-13, 2020
We will share additional information as it becomes available.
What is the Summer Program?
The International Teaching Assistant (ITA) Summer Program is a summer training program required by Cornell University to support all incoming international students who speak English as an additional language and who will assume TA duties during the fall semester. It offers a high level of individual guidance, small group sessions, and activities designed to help students familiarize themselves to Cornell’s campus and culture. Students will have the opportunity to refine their oral communication and/or pedagogical skills, and critically examine the impact of culture on teaching and learning.
As part of the summer program, students will participate in a Language Assessment and, depending on the results of the assessment, may be assigned to ALS 5780.
Who can attend?
International teaching assistants who:
- speak English as an additional language
- have been assigned to TA in their first fall semester at Cornell
- determine whether an ITA’s level of English proficiency meets the minimum required level of proficiency to be a TA at Cornell
- determine any required ITAP course work and assign appropriate teaching assignments
ITAs should contact their Graduate Field Assistants (GFAs) if they will receive a TA appointment but have not yet received information about the ITAP Summer Program.
Email ITAP with any questions about the program.