Developing your Online Presence
Online presence encompasses the extent to which you come across as an empathetic person, form connections, and respond to students throughout your course. Every instructor defines their virtual self differently. It is useful to consider what information about yourself and your work you want to share, and why you think it is important. Then, take time to think about the specifics.
Common ways to increase your instructor presence online include:
- Provide an introductory video so that students can see and hear you.
- Post still image(s) of yourself in the introductory materials.
- Link or embed social media sites or feeds like your Twitter name, LinkedIn profile, or Slack group.
- Share your website to help students understand who you are and what you do.
- Use video or audio to provide updates throughout the course.
- Provide prompt feedback on assignments (text, video, and audio).
Review the following information to help you be prepared for the experience of teaching online: