Teaching & Learning in the Diverse Classroom Online Course
The Center for Teaching Innovation is offering a new online course, Teaching & Learning in the Diverse Classroom. This course is open to the Cornell teaching community, in a cohort, college, department, or as an individual, with all disciplines and any level of diversity expertise welcome.
Registration for the Spring 2019 course is now open! The course begins March 4. Register here.
If you are not a member of the Cornell community but are interested in future opportunities, stay up-to-date here.
Teaching & Learning in the Diverse Classroom is designed for Cornell instructors, with the goal of building confidence to address challenges and communicate effectively with students across difference. To this end, Teaching & Learning in the Diverse Classroom explores strategies for inclusive course design and pedagogical practices that effectively support student engagement.
The course includes videos, activities, readings, and opportunities for some discussion with peers within the Cornell community. In addition to inclusive course design and teaching strategies, participants will be invited to reflect on their own formative experiences as learners, teachers, and members of disciplines. The content addresses:
- A framework for inclusive course design.
- Strategies and exercises helpful in facilitating discussion and modeling inclusivity when unexpected issues arise.
- Opportunities to reflect on the implications of social identities — both students’ and instructors’— within the teaching and learning environment.
- A showcase of evidence-based learning strategies.
- A framework for evaluating a course syllabus from a diversity perspective.